All candidates wishing to apply to UMaRC must have the following qualifications:
- Current college sophomores and juniors preferred; college freshmen or seniors, and recent college graduates may apply
- Pursuing a BA or BS in a STEM field required
- Strong academic record in STEM coursework.
- Interest in urban education and social justice
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Official school transcript
- Firm commitment to and belief in People’s Prep’s mission
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in communicating with diverse audiences
- Demonstrated ability to multitask effectively and prioritize strategically
- Openness to feedback and willingness to take personal responsibility
- Team orientation
- Flexibility under pressure
- Comfort with ambiguity
Essay Questions: Please select one of the following essay questions and write a typed 500 word response.
- Why do you want to be a part of UMaRC at People’s Prep and how does People’s and UMaRC’s mission align with your personal mission/views on education?
- Why is quality STEM education especially important in an urban context and describe how you see yourself bringing the two together.
- What do you hope to achieve by becoming an UMaRC Corps member?